Monday, October 13, 2014

Say What?!

Becoming aware can be the biggest, most important first step you could take on a weight loss journey.  Until you realize what you are or are not doing now, can you really fully commit to something new or making a change?  Do you believe as much in that change as you could?  Are you as motivated as you could or want to be?

I think about how over time some habits start to slip.  For instance, I enjoy ice cream.  Now I do get a low fat ice cream, measure 1 serving with a food scale, put it in a little bowl and enjoy it with a little spoon, slooooowwwwwwly, but none the less it is a treat.  Mmm, mmm, mmm.  Overtime, I watch that number on the food scale creep up.  Maybe one day I scoop my last scoop and it slightly over, but I figure it’s just this one time so I don’t worry about it.  Well, before you know it I’m consistently having a good bit more than my 1 serving of ice cream, coming with extra calories, extra fat, and extra sugar.  Those extras didn’t hit me until I really took a moment to become aware of what I was doing.  It was almost like I wasn’t letting myself “find out” that I was cheating a little on my ice cream serving, acting like it wasn’t happening.  When I fessed-up to myself, it made the difference.  Those little cheats could start adding up if they crept into other areas of my intake too.  While not paying attention, I’m working against my health, nutrition, fitness and weight goals.  So, next bowl of ice cream = 65 grams in weight, flat.

Maybe this means something different to you.  You may be on a pretty good regimen and just need to stay aware enough of your goals and challenges to pull yourself back onto the tracks if you begin veering off (like me).  Or, maybe you’re just getting started and have yet to be fully aware of the impact certain behaviors have on your nutrition and health.  If you’re just getting started, one great place to begin is a food diary.  A food diary is a quick way to get a new clear view of what and how much you’re really eating.  It could provide that motivation you need to change.  Before really seeing your intake down on paper (or online), it can be so easy to act like certain decisions don’t happen and certain foods aren’t THAT bad.

For example, did you know?

Your seasonal Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino, grande (medium, 16 oz), nonfat, no whip afternoon treat is 300 calories and 70 grams of sugar!

Your small McDonald’s french fry is 230 calories all by itself!  Go big (large) and its 530 calories!

Your Boneless Buffalo Chicken Salad at Chili’s is over 1000 calories, 67 grams of fat, and over 3700 mg of sodium!

Say what?!

Sometimes it is simply awareness that will make you second guess before heading out to eat instead of cooking at home or before choosing an afternoon frappuccino instead of a yogurt and fruit.  Being aware will make it a BIGGER deal that you’re using so many of your calories for a beverage or a small fry.  Instead you may start trying to get as much good nutrition out of your calories as you can, which is GREAT!

Want to stick to the electronics?  Check out MyFitnessPal or any other online or phone app tracker (many smart phones come with health apps built in now).  To name a few, My Fitness Pal, Super Tracker, Fat Secret, Livestrong, and Calorie Count among others.  Old school?  Get a one subject spiral notebook and your favorite pen.  Even if you track by hand and don’t have all the exact nutrition information, you are paying attention and holding yourself accountable for your decisions.  You become aware of your food decisions, good, bad or ugly, and hopefully feel newly motivated to make that positive change you’ve been “thinking about” for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment