Sunday, January 18, 2015

Picture This


Have we ever talked about eating more slowly and mindfully?  Mindfully taking care to taste and actually experience each bite?  I have probably mentioned it on several occasions, but today I am dedicating the whole post to it.  Why?  Because it is amazing how BIG of a difference slowing down can make on how, what, and how much you eat.  Yet it is so easy to forget it…so easy for me to forget it that I want to give mindful eating the page today.
Our lesson in Sunday school today was about living a “hurried life.” Funny how concepts, ideas, and thoughts all just align some days.  We discussed the many ways in which we are always hurrying – got to get here or there faster to get this or that done faster to collect a pile of I’ll get to that later and ultimately miss out on the truly important things – relationships (with family, kids, God, etc.).  And it is so true.  With all of our hurriedness, our expectation for quick results in all things grows and our patience fades.  Does any of this sound like a positive to you?  What comes from a lack of patience, a never ending urgency to do more, and a lack of time for relationships?  What if we were to strive to take time away from our fast paced lives (put the phone away, the computer away, the to-do list away) and spent quality time experiencing the simple things in our life – moments with our spouse or children or other family, quiet time with God in prayer or a book, or how about during our meals?  Maybe we would EXPERIENCE these moments and gain more than we think we would, definitely more than we think we’re missing.

So when it comes to your meals…are you hurried?  I so often find myself devouring my meal (breaking my rule to put my fork down between bites), but why?  Well, because “I am SO hungry!” or “We’ve waited so long and it’s finally here!” or “I’ve got [this/that] to get done today,” and all of a sudden…where’d my food go?  I’ve finished my meal and instantly yearn for more.  I know what I had was enough, but I sure didn’t actually enjoy it because my mind was caught up elsewhere or I didn’t take a moment to just slow down.  Maybe your “mindless eating” looks differently and you’re multi-tasking, eating and working at the same time, or watching the tube, engulfed in a never-gets-old sitcom, shoveling bite after bite into your mouth.  No matter what gets us to that point, it’s preventing us from enjoying the experience of food, from tasting all the flavors, from feeling and understanding our hunger and fullness cues, and ultimately can lead us to poor food decisions.

Alternatively, picture this.  You’ve finished preparing one of your favorite winter time meals – a heart-warming chili that’s been simmering and filling the house with its mouth-watering fragrance.  The table is set with bowls, spoons, napkins, glasses, and chili toppings.  You fill your bowls with a serving of hot, hearty, just spicy enough chili and take a seat, the steam billowing into your nose, tickling your senses.  Before digging in you let the smell and warmth sink in, appreciating the work that went into making your meal and feeling thanks for the nutritious food your about to eat.  Then, your first bite.  You slowly let the medley of beans, meat, veggies, and broth hit your taste buds, put your spoon down and just savor the complex textures and flavors you’re experiencing.  You swallow, feeling the warmth travel down your throat and into your chest before gently settling in your stomach.  Now you’re ready for the next bite.  When you finally reach the bottom of your bowl you feel satisfied, filled and happy.  You’ve really enjoyed your meal and feel comfortable with calling it quits. 

You know what that would have looked like if mindlessly approached…a burnt tongue, an empty bowl and an unsatisfied belly and mind.
Taking the time to appreciate anything can yield such wondrous, unexpected results.  Mindfully eating your meals can yield better control over portions and food choices, not only without you feeling deprived, but likely feeling more satisfied.

Pick one mealtime to start with.  You may have to talk yourself through slowing down at first because it is so against our hurried ways, but it’s worth it.  Every time that I consciously make the effort to slow down, I’m so thankful I do.  I always ask myself “why on earth don’t you do this every time?” and “what’s the point of hurrying?” 
I challenge you (and me) to eat and live more mindfully one little moment at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment