Saturday, July 5, 2014

Cost vs. Flavor

It's a new recipe week!  In an effort to expand my culinary horizons, I've decided to try to make one new recipe each week.  I might make a new entrée, new side, or new dessert.  It's fun to explore new flavors and new cooking techniques and end up with some home run delicious dishes!

Of course my dishes must pass the hubby's taste test and then we'll decide to keep it or toss it.  We've made several of these new dishes in the past and added them to our "go-to" recipes, but as my husband would tell you, we don't make it back around to making our voted "good" or "great" recipes often enough -- because I keep making other new recipes instead.  I do the same thing with baking.  I'll make a kick-butt cookie, but won't make it again for months because I'm busy trying other new recipes.  I'll work on that, but it's safe to say we'll have quite the recipe collection to choose from.

I used to struggle with buying new ingredients in order to make a new dish.  I would say I am delightfully frugal and picking up a new herb or spice especially can be pricey, in my world anyway.  So often the cost would keep me from stepping out of my comfort zone of flavors and dishes because I could not convince myself that the cost would be worth it.  After biting the bullet once, I've actually come to quite the opposite conclusion.  Buying new kitchen staples (which can hurt at first - this week was a $6+ jar of sesame seeds - AHH!) actually help me to stay creative in the kitchen.  Once I have new herbs, spices, or other ingredients on hand, not only can I use them in the new recipe, but I can spice up some older recipes and learn to use the ingredient all over the place.  I don't have to buy a new "expensive" ingredient each week, but I've come to learn that doing so once in a while is a benefit in the long run.  Do it.

This week I made "Sweet Sesame Noodles with Chicken and Broccoli" from Cooking Light June 2014 magazine.  I had to put some of the ingredients on my grocery list, but others I had on hand (several because I chose to purchase them for an earlier recipe...benefiting all ready) or swapped in a worthy substitute (good for the budget).

Ingredients included (makes 4 servings):
1 (8-ounce) package uncooked soba (I used thin whole wheat spaghetti, and cooked 6 ounces)
1 (8-ounce) package broccoli florets (I chopped two small heads of broccoli)
Cooking spray
2 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter (I used Crazy Richard's Natural, my fav)
2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds, divided (This was my expensive and "worth it" purchase)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
3 green onions, chopped

This was a super easy recipe to complete.  You can check out the complete recipe here: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/sweet-sesame-noodles-chicken-50400000135392/

It was the first time that I have toasted sesame seeds...success!  Tossed the seeds in a small skillet over medium-high heat and shook the pan frequently until the seeds were golden brown and fragrant.  The pasta and the broccoli I cooked separate from each other and set aside.  I pounded the chicken breasts for quick, more even cooking and cut them into my 1-inch pieces with kitchen shears.  The sauce mixed up fast with a whisk and then all the separate components were thrown together.




Delicious!  Slightly sweet, slightly tangy...a great oriental dish with whole grain, lean protein, healthy fats, and vegetables.  The recipe is a keeper, but I would make some adjustments next time.  Being a couple who favor our meat and veggies over our pasta, I thought there was too much pasta per serving.  I would increase the chicken by one-half breast, increase the broccoli by one small head and reduce the pasta by 2 more ounces (ultimately cooking 4 ounces).  Then everyone would get 1/2 serving of pasta and a few extra pieces of lean protein and veggie (notice I couldn't help but add an extra color -yellow squash- yum!).

No comments:

Post a Comment