Sunday, August 31, 2014

Let the battle begin!


Are you ever THAT person?  The one who needs just “a little” more time before ordering?  How many times have you said you need just one more minute for the third time?  Fourth time?  Oftentimes this is me.  I LOVE food and when offered a menu of choice after choice after choice, what’s a girl to do?  It’s really not because I’m indecisive.  I am slowly but surely talking (in my head…most of the time) my way through why I should or should not get this or that, narrowing my choices down until…that’s it!  I’m ready!  What am I thinking through that takes so long?  I am looking for that happy balance between indulgence and nutrition.
Ordering off of a menu can pose some of the hardest challenges when it comes to food temptations and healthy eating.  In my case, we’re not out to eat that often so when the occasion arises, I get that extra nudge from my inner diet saboteur to enjoy whatever I want, regardless of its nutritional value because, well, it’s a special occasion (refer to last week’s blog on justifying).  To be honest, sometimes I do.  Usually though, my health/nutrition conscience fights a good battle in those 5 extra minutes of menu perusing.

Battle questions:


“What sounds good to me right now?”
Scan menu and eliminate those that simply don’t tempt me today.

“What would be the healthiest option?” (I.e. more balanced, leaner, includes fruit and/or veggie, whole grain, smaller portion).
Note the healthier choices.

“Why do the others sound good?”
“What part of that item makes it a contender?”
“Can I somehow combine a healthier option and tack on a little piece of another or vice versa (a la carte)?”

Budget is always considered here too (add a cup of fruit for $2.50…I don’t think so).

“What is really worth trying?”
Remember, this will not be the last opportunity to ever try “this” or all of “these.”

“How do I want to feel after the meal?”
Choosing brunch today, I was really liking the look of the biscuits, the pancakes, the creamy grits and the French toast (all which I have not had in a while), but vegetables always sound good, their more balanced menu items sounded tasty themselves (no reason not to pick one of these), and I remember how I felt last time I opted for everything I hadn’t enjoyed in a while (over-full and icky).

After calculating some possible combinations to somehow get “all of the above,” I successfully narrowed it down to what indulgence I really wanted to try (the biscuit) along with a more balanced option that included egg whites, veggies, and fruit.  The battle resulted in a tasty meal with lean protein, fruits, vegetables, and of course the biscuit, which I thoroughly enjoyed.  Just satisfied, not hurting, not guilty, not “missing” anything I didn’t get.  Actually not distracted at all by my food choices, but just enjoying the company and conversation.

Am I saying you need to make each ordering experience a “battle” like described above?  Of course not.  My hope is that it would be simpler than that.  Maybe that the healthier option is an absolute automatic, no questions asked.  Realistically though, you’ll go through seasons when you can opt hands down, no problem, for the healthier item, other seasons that you really don’t mind if you overdo it and feel a little icky afterwards, and times when a battle must commence. 

Ultimately, you want the everyday nutrition decisions you make, the “norm” that you establish, to be balanced and nutritious.  Doing this allows for the exceptions to the norm on occasion, without turmoil over a bad decision.  It’s hard to avoid throwing caution to the wind sometimes, but if you decide to at least keep a hold of caution by the tail, you’ll definitely feel better on the other side and be that much closer to making a better decision every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment