Sunday, August 24, 2014

To have or not to have? That is the question.


Justifying…we do it all the time and most often end up with something we don’t actually need.  This can be true for shopping (I was going to pick on the ladies, but I’m sure there are some men out there that do the same with tools or shoes or something like that).  Do you ever have that conversation with yourself or your partner in crime? ”Well, I don’t really have any of these and it would really be useful for so many things and I NEVER buy new things and it is on the clearance rack and it is almost my birthday and I did just get paid and…” until you convince yourself it is absolutely okay to splurge and get “it.”
Now if you’re like me, this conversation often takes way too much of my time and brain power.  I often, in the case of shopping, end up reversing my decision in the end and leaving without it because I didn’t really “need” it.  I don’t always have the same power over food, but it sure feels great when I do.

So how does this sound in the food world?  One example.  You just finished dinner (either out or at home) and while you sit there enjoying some conversation, you notice that there are a couple rolls (or biscuits, or pieces of toast, or ______ - fill in the blank) left in the middle of the table.  You may think, “Those look pretty good, but I’m not hungry.  But they’ll just be wasted if someone doesn’t eat them.  What about the starving kids in Africa/China?” (I hear this one a lot too).  “I really don’t need them, but goodness that would just be a waste if nobody eats them.”  Cue go-go gadget arm to the center of the table.  You’ve made it your responsibility now.  You finish off the bread bowl, satisfied now that no food will go to waste, but feel icky.  You are now overstuffed, maybe a little guilty and asking yourself why, again, did you do that?  Or maybe you justify eating a special “off my healthy eating plan” treat under certain circumstances.  Now, hopefully you’re getting the idea that I am in favor of balance and moderation, but we can’t let these special treat occasions become too regular because then it becomes the norm instead of the exception.

I personally have an interesting battle with lattes.  I feel, for some reason, that it is REQUIRED to have a yummy hot (yes, even during the summer months) latte when we’re traveling.  Last challenge to overcome this battle, failed.  I knew we had water along and I had just finished breakfast and my normal cup of joe, but goodness if it just wasn’t so convenient to swing by Starbucks for a latte as we hit the road.  I knew I didn’t need the calories or to spend the money, but habit and desire outweighed my better judgment.  Since I can remember, on road trips to see family or attend events, we always stopped at a gas station and everyone would pick something out for the road.  My choice back then…those insanely sweet cappuccinos.  I am proud to say that I can no longer bring myself to have one of those.  Even in college, while I rarely treated myself to a latte while at school (talk about getting expensive), I did like to treat myself for the ride home.  It just fit.  I was typically heading home for a break from school, stress and worry free, excited to see family and enjoying my 2+ hour ride with just me, my music, and a “special occasion” latte.  To be fair, I do try to keep it light by choosing a “skinny” version and avoiding the large, but regardless, the latte is something I do not need, but always convince myself that I do.  Still needs work.

There are so many examples that I could run through, but in the end, when you convince yourself you need the extra food just because it is there, you are not supporting your health/weight management efforts.  It is hard to change your mindset, but you have to start somewhere.  First, really logically think it through.  That extra food that would be such a waste not to eat, in the end, either ends up in your belly or in the trash.  In neither scenario does it feed hungry children or make anyone else happier or upset, but when you eat beyond your “full” gauge, you are likely working against your health goals and efforts to lose/maintain weight.  It is only you that reaps the consequences.  Try to separate yourself from the responsibility to prevent food waste in the situation.  Of course we want to avoid wasting food, but is it really the answer to add it to your intake?  Make a little less next time, refuse a second bread basket, or save some to be had/repurposed at another meal.  Find alternatives to justifying your consumption of more than you need.  You will feel so much happier with yourself, having been successful in a good nutrition decision, and may find new motivation to make a similar decision next time you’re posed with a personal food challenge.  You can be your own greatest motivator.  Just remember, one decision at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment