Sunday, April 26, 2015

The Vanishing Cutie

I had a funny moment last week at work.  It was the late afternoon and I was holding down the office on my own, working away, when the clock struck “snack time!”  I had a Cutie clementine with me today…fresh, juicy, and sweet!  I turned away from my work to peel and eat my fruit, but then I heard that ding of an incoming email and decided I needed to see the new message in my inbox right then.  Shortly after, I turned to grab the second half of my clementine…"where is it?!"  The second half was gone!  Surely it had rolled off my desk because I know I didn’t already eat it!  I literally looked on the floor.  But, it was too late.  I had broken my own rule!  I had mindlessly scarfed down the second half of my Cutie, literally not even realizing it while reading an email, thus not tasting or enjoying the lovely refreshing snack I had planned.  So disappointed.


It takes practice to allow the 5 minutes it may take to eat a small snack, but it is definitely worth it. 

A mindfully enjoyed afternoon snack time can serve to:
1.  Provide you fuel to get you to dinner without becoming ravenous
2.  Provide you the energy your brain needs to work at its best for the remainder of the work day
3.  Provide you with a mini brain break, refreshing your work upon your return
4.  Provide you with a mini brain break for stress relief
5.  Provide a daily recommended fruit, veggie, or dairy serving

Don’t be like me that day and be utterly confused and astonished that you really did already eat your entire snack.  Instead, take actions to enjoy your snack mindfully.

1.  Close your computer and/or clear the immediate area of work
2.  Take a breath, releasing any tension as you exhale
3.  Clear you mind of work for the moment – it will still be there in 5 minutes
4.  Pay attention to the texture, color, and aroma of your snack
5.  Take one bite at a time, chewing and swallowing each before taking the next
6.  When finished, take one more deep breath, reflect on how enjoyable it was
7.  Return to work fed and refreshed

All you have to do is try this once to notice that enjoying an afternoon snack does become an entirely different experience when you are mindful.

Life is too short to let every little moment slip by without noticing it, without appreciating it, without being thankful for it.  Every moment can hold a joy, hold a gift, and hold something to be thankful for, even the seemingly mundane things.  Sometimes we just don’t take the time to notice them.  I challenge you to be more mindful of the little moments in your day – afternoon snack and all – and be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment