Sunday, May 10, 2015

Challenged by Snacking


Nighttime and/or excessive snacking comes up a lot in my counseling sessions.  It usually goes something like this:
“Well, I do pretty well all day.  It’s when I get home when it all goes downhill.” OR
“See, I eat well [after a food intake recall], but after the kids go to bed I have to snack and I don’t mean just a serving.” OR
“I’m just so hungry when I get home from work.  I nibble on everything the rest of the day.” OR
“There’s just something about sitting down at the end of the day with a book and a bag of chips.”
In the case of nighttime snacking, typically the first two-thirds of eating for the day are reported as well controlled, but as soon as it’s quittin’ time after work or after dinner, all self-control and will power fall by the wayside.

Why is that?  I guess in the morning we are fresh and ready to handle a new day, ready to stick to our plan.  At work we’re busy enough that eating just what we’ve planned still satisfies (although often starts to get harder in the afternoon).  By the time the work day ends, have you used up all your "stick-to-itiveness" and feel drained and ready to treat yourself?  Or maybe you don’t feel tempted to hop off track until everything is done for the day and you’re decompressing.  It’s quiet, all you have left to do is get ready for bed and sleep.  It’s “you” time and what’s better during “you” time than your favorite snack…you deserve it, right?

I’ve had my share of this challenge.   I’m here to tell you that most of these nighttime snacking behaviors are good ol’ HABITS.  Often they are not a response to actual hunger, but a response to an emotional or mental need.  During my evening I find that if there is a treat available, I’m going to take part, whether I am hungry or not (always not).  Now, I’ve typically planned this into my day, which you could do too (a well-balanced intake with a few discretionary calories).  The problem arises when even after I’ve enjoyed my portioned treat, the fridge, freezer, or pantry still calls my name and for no other reason than because I’m just relaxing and well, snacking just “fits.”

I have had evenings where I cave to my craving and eat again – really?!  I even think while I’m eating it that I’m not hungry and I don’t really need it, but not even those thoughts are enough to stop me.  I had to enlist an actual replacement behavior.  The winner…brushing my teeth!  Making the decision to be done and cleaning my pearly whites marks a distinct line mentally for me that I am finished snacking.  Completing this simple task alone reduces the desire to continue snacking, one step toward breaking a habit.

If you are someone who struggles with food choices and snacking as soon as you get home from work, think about two things.  First, be sure you are not depriving yourself throughout the workday – eat a good breakfast and plan a balanced lunch and snack.  Second, don’t fight snacking.  When you’re fighting it, but not avoiding it, your snack becomes grazing, and more food and calories than you’d like.  Instead, plan in a snack when you get home from work to tide you over until dinner.  Planning it in gives you permission to eat.  It’s no longer a forbidden act and when planned you can make it good for you (for instance some fruit and yogurt or a slice of whole grain peanut butter toast).

In the late evening, recognize when you are succumbing to a habit and find a replacement activity.  Try brushing your teeth.  It’s funny how brushing your teeth can turn into an invisible barrier to extra snacking.  If all else fails, arm yourself with control.  Have one serving of your snack versus allowing a free for all with the entire bag.  Any baby step you take is a good step.  It means you’ve recognized that you need to make a change and you want to make a change.  Give yourself some credit…you can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment