Sunday, June 7, 2015

Hungry Shopper

I went to the grocery store hungry this week.  Very bad idea and even worse, I was breaking one of my own rules.  I wanted to get my errands run while I was out so I planned to go straight to the store after working out.  It was a Zumba morning...so much fun and a great work out (highly recommend)!

Right after exercise I was not all that hungry, but by the time I was in the grocery aisles, I was definitely ready to refuel.  I think deep down I knew that was going to happen, but I ignored my gut feeling and failed to plan and prepare to avoid shopping hungry.

To trim our grocery budget, we’ve been using 3 grocery stores recently – sounds crazy and we may not do it forever, but it works for us now and saves us money.  Because I am going to 3 stores, I always take a list with me and plan on sticking to that list so that I am able to get in and get out.  I’ve also already scoped out sales so I don’t have to spend too much time comparing prices when I am there.

This trip started out a typical trip, but I soon realized that my hunger was slowing me down.  I kept stopping to look at foods that were not on my list and dreaming up possible dishes to use new ingredients (hunger brain)…everything sounded good.  It is not my idea of fun to spend an entire day at the grocery store, but it was shaping up to be one of those days.

Positive self-talk and a little tough love got me through the rest of my trip.  “No, you don’t need that, Dana.  Put it down.  Keep moving.  Stick to the list, only the list.”  The hardest was at grocery store #3.  It is the quickest because it’s the most expensive and we really only get our meats and a few other select items there.  However, it is also the only store with samples riddled throughout.  You’re hungry and all of a sudden every fruit, cracker, cheese, meat and sweet sample is calling your name.  I was able to abstain, but it wasn’t easy.  I kept reminding myself that my lunch would be worth the wait…the most amazing lunch ever.

Well, maybe not the most amazing, but pretty darn good and fresh (a large salad with extra veggies and cottage cheese and a half sandwich).

What’s the point of this story?  Don’t put yourself through the fight it takes to stick to your list, save money, and avoid all the samples when you are super hungry.  If you do not go hungry, all of these things become quite manageable.

What will I do in the future?  Either come home and eat an early lunch before heading to the store or pack a small snack in the car to tide me over until lunch.  Both options are incredibly easy to achieve, I just lacked the planning to execute this week.

Ultimately I spent more time than I wanted at the store, spent more money than I wanted because I bought non-list items that now sit in my pantry without a plan, and had a challenging afternoon of food temptation.  Lesson re-learned.   Do not go grocery shopping while hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment